Listen to Audio Is your PC recently attacked by malware? If u need to learn these best ways to recover your device after a malware infection. Malware infections are serious Continue Reading
Listen to Audio
Is your PC recently attacked by malware? If u need to learn these best ways to recover your device after a malware infection.
Malware infections are serious issues and especially when it keeps spreading through your Windows PC. Malware can be of different types and it can enter your device through various ways for instance, from a hard drive, or through a pop-up, and several other ways. If you have found by any means that your PC is infected, here are a few tips to consider to recover your PC after an infection. However, running your PC in safe mode is the best fix and the easiest solution. If that doesn’t work, there are plenty of other fixes to opt for. You can try using a live antivirus rescue disk or try disabling suspicious startup items.
What Should I Do After My PC Gets Infected?
We have compiled a list of tried and tested ways to recover your PC after a malware infection. Let’s check them out here:
- Enter Safe Mode
- Delete temporary files
- Scan your PC with an antivirus tool
- Check your web browser
- Disable suspicious startup items
Here’s How To Recover Your PC After A Malware Infection
Enter Safe Mode
The best way to recover your PC after a malware infection is to restart it in safe mode. This helps you combat with the malware that has attacked your PC. To enter Safe Mode, use the following:
- Click on the Power button and hold the Shift Click on Restart.
- Now, choose Troubleshooting > Advanced Options > Startup Settings.
- On the next window, click on Restart
- Once the PC restarts, you’ll see a list of options. Choose Safe Mode by pressing the key corresponding to it.
As soon as you enter Safe Mode, you’ll be on a safer side as it only allows you to access limited services and hence, you can prevent malware from spreading throughout your system. Repeat this process of entering safe mode several times until Automatic Repair starts. Once everything is done, enter the Safe mode again using the aforementioned steps and then run an antivirus solution to detect malware on your computer and remove it completely.
Delete Temp Files
Another quick way to get rid of malware from your PC is by removing temp files as it stores pDts of files and applications that might cause your computer to perform poorly. Here’s how to get rid of temp files on Windows:
- Press Windows + S keys and type in Disk Cleanup.
- Open the app on your system and select the drive that you want to clean up.
- Usually, it is C: drive, so select it from the drop-down and click OK.
- Wait until Disk Cleanup completes scanning.
- Once done, select the type of files you want to remove. Ensure that you don’t forget to choose Temporary Files from the list.
- Click OK and then Delete Files
- Wait until Disk Cleanup removes the file completely from Windows.
Remember removing temp files does not remove malware from your system for sure. But, it’s worthy to try this way out as it can many times clean the malicious files hidden in between temp files.
Scan PC Using A Reliable Antivirus Solution
Another important thing to consider is to scan your PC using reliable antivirus software like Systweak Antivirus, Norton, or others. If you don’t have one, install and run it so as to identify if there is still some malicious content hidden within your system. The scan process will take time depending on the size of the data to be scanned. Always choose a top-rated antivirus software that delivers accurate results and also protects your sensitive data.
Take A Look On Your Web Browser
A lot of times malware enters through unknown websites or pop-ups and therefore it is important to check web browsers too. For this, follow the steps below:
- Open Web Browser.
- Head to the Menu Icon at the top.
- Select Settings and open it.
- Now, click on Manage Search Engines.
- You’ll see a list of search engines. Select any and set it as the default search engine. If you see any other suspicious entries, ensure that you remove them immediately.
- Now restart your browser and see if the problem is resolved.
Also, you can check and edit the list of extensions if you find anything suspicious there as well. For this head to menu icon and select More Tools > Extensions.
In the list of extensions, if you find anything suspicious and away from your knowledge, remove it there and then. Now, restart your browser to see if the problem is sorted or not.
Disable Suspicious Startup Items
There might be some suspicious items on your startup, check them and remove if you find any. For this, follow the steps below:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- Head to Startup
- Now, look for the apps or programs that open during Startup, if you find anything suspicious try to uninstall them using Settings or Control Panel.
- To remove using Settings, press Win + I and then locate Apps > Apps & Features.
- Scroll down and locate the suspicious file and hit Uninstall.
- Click OK to confirm.
So, these were some of the best ways to recover your PC from malware and it is recommended to have a strong and reliable Antivirus solution installed on your PC. The software you choose should be the one that can smell threats in advance and warns you to prepare your PC that way. If nothing works, try resetting your Windows 10.
Did you find us helpful? Do let us know in the comments section below.